The MBLWHOI Library is a multi-institutional research library based in Woods Hole with researchers working all over the world. Most online resources are available only to affiliates. The physical library is open to the public M-F 8-5 with the exception of holidays.
Need a library card? See Library Cards
You can connect to library resources when you are not on campus. Any authorized user with a library card may access remote content via the proxy server. Other access options depend on which Woods Hole science institution you are a member of.
If your proxy server password has expired or you no longer remember it, go to https://password.mbl.edu/?action=sendtoken and use your institutional email to reset your password. This will provide you access to the journals and databases from outside the network. If you have trouble with the password reset, call 508-289-7668 or email the MBL IT helpdesk at email@example.com
Remote Access Options
- MBL: When you connect to a journal or database through the library website from off campus, you will be prompted for your MBL login and password. This page will clearly be marked MBLWHOI Library. You will remain logged in until you quit your browser. You must be accessing the resource through the library interface.
- WHOI: (recommended) Log in to WHOI VPN before attempting to access a journal or database through the library website. You will remain logged in until you quit VPN. You must be accessing the resource through the library interface. [To request a WHOI VPN account, see WHOInet ID Account Request]
- WHRC: Users always access remote content via the proxy server.
- SEA: Users always access remote content via the proxy server.
- USGS: Users always access remote content via the proxy server.
If you are logged in and are being prompted for a user name and password by a publisher, this probably means that we do not have access to that resource electronically. If it is something that the Library subscribes to and you are having an access problem, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-289-7002.
Your access credentials are for your use only. Allowing someone to borrow your credentials may jeopardize our contracts and access for the entire community. The Library retains the right to close the account of anyone who distributes or shares their access information.